About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Picture Wednesday and some thoughts.

Guess who has a new teensy bottom tooth?  
 This guy!  Sweet Finny is 31 weeks old and just as darling as ever.  He's started to get a little more needy.  If he's on the ground and he doesn't see you, no problem.  But if he sees you walk by and you don't pick him up...problem.  We've taken to eating dinner with Finn sitting on my lap so he won't feel left out (read: so there won't be screaming).

This week I've been thinking a lot about the movie theatre shooting.  A lot.  I don't personally know anyone who was affected, but it was pretty scary having something so horrible happen in my new home city.  Just minutes away.  As soon as I found out what happened I wanted to know everything I could.  I was watching the news, checking online, trying to figure out how many people were hurt, who this guy was, what he'd told police, who the victims were...  As if knowing all the facts could somehow make me wiser and therefore immune to being directly affected by anything so horrible.  I just ache for the families.  For the innocence lost, for the sense of total safety and peace they may never feel again.  Friday night we knelt down for prayer and the first thing Glenn asked for was that the family of the shooter be comforted.   I thought, "Seriously?  You're that good of a person?"  Yep, folks.  He is.  I cannot imagine what they are going through either.  Knowing that the monster who did something so terrible was once your baby boy.

Then on Sunday (after Glenn gave an amazing talk, by the way), our bishop got up and gave us some counsel.  Counsel that is sort of common sense, but still needed to be said, and heard.  He said that reliving the horrible things that happened by dwelling on it or listening while it is repeated over and over on the news doesn't do any good.  He recommended that we turn off the news regarding this event, stop searching it out, and spend time doing positive things with our families.  He asked us to see the shooting as a senseless and isolated event and to not allow it to affect our day to day lives.  
It's hard when things like this happen.  It would be so easy to stop doing things because something bad could possibly happen to me or my family.  I felt like our bishop was talking to me.  Making sure I didn't dwell on this tragedy.  Didn't let it affect the way I live my life or take care of my family.  I am trying to do that.  I do feel extra grateful that our little family has been so happy.  So safe and healthy and sheltered from the horrible things that happen in the world.  I'll just keep squeezing these little guys every day, and express my immense gratitude that I get to have them (and their ridiculously handsome daddy), and that we're all safe and happy.


5 comments:

Debi said...

Sometimes there just isn't a reason. We will never be satisfied by getting an answer from this guy. But we can chose how we decide to change our behavior. More time with family, in nature, stillness, recognizing our blessings. There is always sense and peace in the gospel. Of all the people of the earth, we are the lucky ones.

Katelyn & Wade said...

I loved this line of thought. I have actually thought a fair amount about the shooter's family too. How horrifying. The whole thing is horrifying and senseless, but you are right, that compassionately moving forward is the way to go.

Unknown said...

Could they be any cuter? I think not. :)

Meag said...

Kim, it must be very hard to be so close to such a tragedy--we're just glad you are all safe! I feel like I'd react the same as you.

Way to be, Glenn. Seriously, one of my biggest fears is of my children making poor choices down the road & this totally tops the charts.

Finn is so so so precious :)

Janelle said...

Awww, you are so sweet. I love your cute boys and you & Glenn are pretty cool, too. ;-)
I"m so glad we live closer.
And it's so cute to see Finn with a tooth.