About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, August 27, 2012

The 1st First Day

Tate started preschool this morning.  He's already been there for an hour.  I can't believe it.  My first little baby is in preschool.  Without me.  For three hours.
The morning started very early.  Tate woke up at 5:30.  Which is 7:30 back east where we've been for over a week visiting Glenn's family.  We got home yesterday afternoon so the boys haven't quite adjusted yet.  Luckily, he woke up happy and we snuggled for a bit and talked about his big day.  Then we got up and had some pancakes and took our time getting everyone ready.
We decided a little over a month ago that we were going to try preschool this year.  It was a really hard decision for me to make.  He's just 3 and a half so that means he'll have two years of preschool if we start him this year.  There were so many questions in my mind: Can we afford the extra expense?  Is it worth the money?  Does he really "need" it?  What is my motive for putting him in preschool?  Is it more for me or for him?  But, in the end, after a really hard week of tantrums, I made the decision and it felt right and I never second-guessed again.  I know it will be really good for him to have some time away from me.  Learning how to get along with a bunch of classmates and how to listen and take instruction from someone other than mom.  He will be great and have so much fun.  We've been talking to him about it for a while.  Pointing out his preschool when we drive by.  Trying to figure out how to put on those pesky underpants all by himself (there are so many holes!) so he can be ready for preschool, etc.  I think he's excited and knows it means that he is a big boy, but didn't really know exactly what to expect.
This morning as we got closer to the time we wanted to leave he started to get a little worried.  "Mom, can you just stay with me in preschool?"  "Mom, I think I just want to stay home with you."  "Mom, will you come in to my preschool with me?" "Will my teacher help me put my backpack on?"
We drove to school and when I was getting him out of his carseat I held his cute little face for a second and told him that he was a very smart, sweet, and good boy, that he was going to have a lot of fun in preschool and that I loved him very very much.  Tate doesn't usually tell us he loves us back.   He's too busy.  But today he looked at me and said, in a sweet soft voice, "I very much love you too, Mom."  Aaaaand let the fighting back of the tears begin.  Oh, I love that boy.
We walked into the school and down the hall where we needed to wait in line to get into our classroom.    The rest of the kids started last week but we missed the class meet and greet and the first week of school because of our trip.  Tate was supposed to find his name velcroed on the board outside of the room and bring it in to his teacher.  I asked him which one said his name and he reached up and grabbed it right away.  He was really excited about his Lightning McQueen backpack so when he met his teacher, Ms. Sheri, for the first time she said hello, and he just turned around and put his back to her so she could see his backpack.  I just explained that he was very excited about his backpack and she was very sweet and tried to have a little chat with him but he was so distracted by all the fun things in the room, I don't think he even said anything to her.  We found his picture over his cubby, hung up his backpack, and then he was completely gone.  There were so many kids playing with all sorts of blocks and trucks while the teachers were checking everyone in.  It was all I could do to drag him across the room to show him where the bathroom was.  I gave him a hug and told him I loved him and left.  It would have been so much harder if he was clingy and worried, but I should have known he wouldn't be.  He takes after his dad that way.  He's usually not worried at all about new places and people.  He was excited to dive in and I was kind of in the way.
It's a fun new phase of life.  I thought I'd be more emotional about it, but I'm ok today.  I came home and took Finn for a jog.  I had forgotten how easy it is to push one kid in a single jogging stroller.  I felt like a total champ.  My pace was faster by a whole minute.  Don't get me wrong, it's still a dismal pace, but I felt awesome.
It's awful quiet with Finn down for a nap and no Tate in the house right now.  Big day.  The first of many first days with my little boys.

6 comments:

Amberly said...

I fully support you decision... we will have two years of preschool for most of my kiddos too, and haven't regretted it for a second. they love it- learn wonderful things and you get a tiny break that makes you a happier mama when they get home. I'm excited for him, i hope he's loving every minute!

Ken and Meag said...

You are such a fabulous mom :) Tate will be fantastic in preschool!

Dustin and Tricia Bunderson said...

Would you stop making me cry when I read your blog posts? What a big step for Tate and for all of you. Life goes by so fast. He'll do great!

Katelyn & Wade said...

It will be so good for both of you. His I love you melts my heart!

Glenn Makechnie said...

I love the way he words things. 'I very much love you too, Mom."

Amy Mak said...

I very much love you too, Mom. Oh man. That is so sweet. Good job, mama!