About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Every Child A Winner!

Glenn, here.

I love sports. Any sport. Always have.




If it's a competition in which two or more individuals must face-off in order to accomplish a task involving control of their bodies, all the while trying to impeed the oposition from accomplishing their goal, I am in!



Lacrosse? Yes. Football? Check. Hockey? Eh!



I don't ever need to be asked twice about attending athletic events. I love attending. Be it college football, major league baseball, or girls field hockey. It matters not to me. I think a large part of my obsession with sporting events is the venue experience. There is something about the crowd, the building, the food... it just energizes me. I imagine what I experience at athletic events to be similar to the quazi-religious experience described by surfers who catch the perfect wave, musicians who hear the perfect note, or mechanics listening to a finely-tuned engine.



I vividly remember the first time I went to a professional athletic event. Fenway Park. June, 1993. Boston-Minnesota. Brendaen took me to see my first professional game. I remember coming up out of the subway and seeing the park lights. Being a part of the crown walking toward the stadium. Hearing the sizzle and smelling the sausage as we passed vendors on the sidewalk. As we came up out of the tunnel through the portal along the right field line, my breath caught in my chest. The field was so GREEN! Everything was crisp. Sharp. The athletes' uniforms. The baselines. The contrast between the infield dirt and the green of the grass. The hard crack of the wood bat hitting the ball as the players took BP. The ball hitting the leather of a glove. The vendors walking the aisles calling "spoahhhts bahhhhhs!" I soaked it in. I bathed in it.



Sports have defined me. They played a very important role in my identity for a long time. I first learned who I was on an athletic field. I figured out what it looks and feels like when a team is working with one purpose. A bunch of guys with a destination in mind. I learned what it takes to win, and I learned what it takes to lose. But more important, I learned what it is to be a winner, and I learned what it means to be a loser. More specifically, you don't always win, and that doesn't make you a loser. Conversely, you don't always lose, but that doesn't make you a winner. As I see it, being a winner, or being a loser is all in how you deal with adversity. You see, for every young athlete, there comes a moment of clarity: you've been lied to. You're not really the best at EVERYTHING you do. You can't actually do ANYTHING you put your mind to. You're actually not special. Some people are just going to be better than you are. This is the moment you really find out who you are. You have two options, basically: you can call it a day, cash in your chips and claim "well, I really just do this for fun, anyway", or you can rise to the occasion. You see, you are not the best, and you may never be.... but..... you can still beat that guy! You just need to learn what it takes.



At this point, I need to cut myself off, because you don't really want to read the book I would have to write to fully explain myself. So, let me get to the point:



I hate what youth sports is becoming today. We don't keep score. We give everyone a trophy. Bull Crap! What are we trying to pull? It is sick. And wrong.



That's why I love what this lady has to say.



Preach on, Sister!

2 comments:

The Hansen's said...

Glenn...I couldn't agree more. There is a very fine line we walk in the world these days. Not everyone wins, and I LOVE how you pointed out that just because the score wasn't in your favor you aren't a looser. It is how one deals with the upset, how you decide to let it effect you that is the true determination of that status. I appreciate your thoughts. I agree and am thankful for the fact that my parents encouraged my brothers and I to do the best that we could in all that we did and to find the lessons in both the victory and defeat.
PS~ You write very well! Thanks for your thoughts.

Tiffany said...

Good words Glen.

I love the part about sports defining you and how they have played a big role in your identity and life. I get it; I live(d) it. I think part of the problem is the people that don't get it organize a lot of young youth activities. Or they are the squeaky wheel of change in the wrong direction.

Or all the parents and kids that are serious leave the fun leagues and start specializing at the age of 5, which is a entirely different tangent. I want my kids to play EVERY sport competitively that they want. I was allowed to and played every sport I wanted through high school at the Varsity level. Oh how I love small towns.

My kids will be competitively involved in whatever interests them (sports, music, math league, etc.) and fits into our schedules. I want them to learn the lessons that competition allows.

Anyways, this is turning into my own blog post, so thank you for your words and I'm glad you liked that article so much!