About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Catch-up

Compared to all of the excitement of December, January and February have been pretty chill around here.  Still, I really should update a bit since there have been a few new little things.
Finny started walking one day in the beginning of January.  I was exercising and he just let go of the couch and walked across the room.  He's never gone back.  From that day on he was walking more than he was crawling and now he's walking fast everywhere he goes having a blast trying to keep up with Tate.  
It's been fun the last month or so to see them play together a little more.  Tate likes when he can make Finn smile or laugh, and Finn wants to be in doing whatever Tate is doing.  Sometimes I'll walk into the room and see Tate talking to Finn or giving him kisses, or wrestling (lots of discussions about being soft) with him.  Finn loves it all.
Finn does not, however, like the fact that we started giving him sippy cups instead of bottles.  We decided to get rid of the bottles in January and while he's slowly getting used to it, there were a few weeks of him not drinking much out of stubbornness.  He'd push the cup away, or if he was really thirsty, drink just a couple swallows and then promptly throw it on the floor and give us a new little grouchy face complete with a tiny furrowed brow.  He's really gotten good at his ornery scowl lately.  I don't love it.  I need to catch it on camera because it's pretty darn funny, but at the same time, don't love it.
For the most part, however, he's still a sweet heart.  He's learned to give "kisses", which at this stage still means he leans in and puts his open mouth on your cheek, but we just love it.  He gives kisses to toys and pictures in his books too.
 
I usually have to wake him up from his morning nap to get Tate from preschool and most of the time I find him snuggled with one of the animals in his crib.  So sweet.
 Tate had his first parent teacher conference at preschool a few weeks ago.  Glenn even stayed home from work that morning in order to attend.  I thought that was pretty sweet of him.  Turns out Tate is pretty darn smart.  We knew that, but it's always nice to hear.  It was fun to hear all the little ways he's improving and funny things he says.  His teacher said she was particularly impressed at how good he is at expressing his feelings.  He lets them know when he feels "upset", "frustrated", "excited", etc.  Yep, self-expression has never really been a problem for Tate.  I was a little nervous going into the conference.  I know it's dumb, but it's the first time I've heard about how he's doing other than growth-wise compared to other kids his age.  But when I looked at his report card and saw that the only thing he wasn't doing well in was, "holds a crayon correctly", I stopped being so worried.  He's only three (almost 4!!!).  He's more than fine.
Tate and Finn in their first matching shirts.
A lot of Tate's make-believe lately has to do with Star Wars.  He's only seen the very first movie (number IV I think) but he thinks it's pretty awesome.  One morning he had the following conversation with me and the invisible sand people:
T: "Mom, the sand people cut off one of my arms.  Now they need to sit on time out.  Mom, they're ready to get off.  I'm gonna talk to them.  You were on time out for cutting off my arm.  Don't do that again, okay?  Mom, they said they were sorry." 
Well, at least he knows how that process works.
He's interested in the bad guys lately.  He wants to pretend to be Shere Khan from Jungle Book, Malificent from Sleeping Beauty, and of course Darth Vader.  He tells me all the time, "I used to be a Jedi knight but then I turned to the dark side."  Ah.  That's just great.  

We recently bought a science museum pass.  Our aquarium pass is expiring and we decided to try something new this year.  We've seen the dinosaur bones before on free days at the museum, but this last visit we ventured into the dioramas with animals from all over the world, dead and stuffed of course.  We explained that to Tate when he was VERY hesitant to approach a window with a huge crocodile posed behind it.  Yesterday we were out running errands and he tells me, "Mom, I'll be the dead croc at the science museum."  Oh I wish I could get my phone to upload the picture of his little, dead, frozen, open-mouthed crocodile face...but you'll just have to picture it.

I have 2 new piano students starting this week.  I think I kind of freaked out their parents at their interview.  They were coming from a pretty low pressure teacher and I require practicing and have structured technic and they were a little worried...but I think it will be good.  I hope so.  They will bring my student total to 5 and I think that's all I'm gonna do for now.  It's fun to have a few piano students to help me stay involved with music and teaching, but I don't want it to be a job, just a fun hobby.

Speaking of hobbies, my cousin, aunt and I are starting a boutique.  It will be a one Saturday boutique in April.  We're booking my clubhouse, advertising, accepting other vendors, and making fun things ourselves.  I'm a little nervous about it, but mostly, I'm excited.  I think we know what we're doing and we're going to have a really good time doing it.  We've got a blog up and I'll post more about those adventures in the weeks to come.

Glenn's going skiing this weekend.  He went a couple weeks ago with Brady and had a great time.  This weekend he gets to go for free.  Some vendor is paying for a bunch of guys to go and he wasn't about to miss it.  It's been 10 years since the poor man went skiing and it's about time we lived in a place where he can go once in a while.

I think that's it.  We're all caught up.  Now if we can just stay that way!

2 comments:

Debi said...

oh Finny, please stop growing up so fast! I love that the boys are playing together. That is the best.

The Silly Witch said...

They are cute! Love you guys!