About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Brush with Grossness

This morning, 3:30 a.m. I awake to my little man crying for the first time since we put him to sleep a full 5 hours earlier. That's right, he slept for 5 hours straight for the second time in his long illustrious career as a three hour stretch sleeper. I am very proud and deliriously happy! I jump out of bed, avoid a near collision with the carpet. (I got up too quickly and am not feeling entirely well yet, that's another story) and practically skip down the hall to rescue my little crying son. I scoop him up, kiss his poor little wet red face, turn around and there it is! The largest, most ugly cockroach I have ever seen. In my house. Just outside my baby's room. It's as if it knows that the sweetest thing in our house lives in that very room. How dare it! With a stroke of bravery, adrenaline, and motherly instincts I do the only thing there is to do...I leap over the cockroach, go back to the bedroom, wake Glenn up and ask him to please kill the big ugly cockroach for me.
I have done a lot of pondering since my brush with grossness this morning.
  • Would I have killed the cockroach myself if Glenn wasn't there? Sure. But it would have involved a very large, very heavy shoe (probably one of Glenn's. They just feel more lethal.) and likely a few shrieks as the shoe fell and the little beastie was inevitably still scurrying about.
  • What would I have done if I had found a cockroach in my babe's room, or heaven forbid, his crib? There would likely be tears of "ew gross" and then angry mama bear tears of "oh no you didn't!" followed by a swift beating of that cockroach (after I ran for the shoe of course). Although I do try not to think about it. How gross to find one of those little nasties in my babies room, or my room, or my kitchen...sick.
  • How did it get in my house? Did it bring it's friends? Where are they? These ponderings I try to ignore every time they pop in my head.
  • WHY did Heavenly Father create cockroaches? I have no idea. Glenn and I sometimes make mental notes of things we will do differently when we create our own little world. Cockroaches are at the top of my list of things that must go.

I suppose I should feel lucky that I have lived here this long without a cockroach sighting in my house. I would have liked to go a little longer...or perhaps forever, without seeing a cockroach in my house, but alas, that is not the way it worked out. Oh Texas, your big nasty bugs gross me out!

5 comments:

The Hansen's said...

Horray for 5 hours of sleep!!!
But, yikes, I don't know where to begin whith the whole cockroach mess. Yuck! I love your ponderings, you write so well and I feel like I would do the exact same things. Good luck with that beast, I hope he was alone! I wish you more stretches of rest and go to the DOC if you have a fever! Love you lots, Aubs

Aunt Debi said...

Good Job Taters! Tell your mom to call the exterminator!

Sarah Shelley said...

I think this might be my favorite post yet. I HATE BUGS!!!! I'm sorry you had to go through that. We had a mouse a little while ago and it was in Miles' room. YUCK! So, I kind of know how you feel.

Calene said...

Kim,
Your baby is so darling! He is getting so big!

Don't you know in the south, the bugs don't move in with you, YOU move in with the bugs! I don't care how clean your house is....roaches are everywhere! Take heart, though, because the big ones aren't as bad as the small brown ones...that one means your house is dirty. lol We sure miss you up here this time of year...the school musical!

Rachel Ann said...

I totally agree about the bugs... and I would have done exactly the same thing. Oh wow... I am not looking forward to Texas someday. :)