About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cancer

Hey all.

I am having surgery tomorrow morning to remove testicular cancer.  I went to a family doctor on Friday last week after noticing some irregularities in one of my testicles.  He sent me to get a sonogram, and said the results "look suspicious for testicular cancer".  He referred me to a urologist, who I saw today.  He was very careful not to use the word cancer, instead using "tumor" or "mass".  I am having the testicle removed tomorrow morning bright and early, and I have a cat scan scheduled for Thursday morning to see if there is anything else in my abdomen or chest to worry about.  Apparently, the first place cancer spreads from a testicle is to the kidneys, since that is the area from which they descend.  I will then see my urologist again on Friday morning to see what the cat scan and biopsy of the "mass" show in order to determine what additional treatment I will need.  From everything I understand, at least one round of chemo is standard, but I may be wrong.

I think the thing that bothers me most is not knowing.  I don't know how advanced whatever this is has become.  There are several types of testicular cancer, and I don't know which I am dealing with.  I don't know if it has spread.  I don't know what treatment I will undergo.  I don't know how long I will be out of commission, or when I will be able to finish the semester.  I don't know how or when I will be able to do my field work for my thesis.  I don't know if I will be able to do my internship with Devon Energy in Houston this summer.  I am worried about my poor wife having to deal with this.

So, this is kind of surreal.  Never thought I would have cancer.  Never thought I would have to take an "incomplete" in a class.  This is the most common type of cancer affecting men of my age range.  In fact, I recommend that if you are between 25 and 35 years of age you inspect yourself.  If you don't know what you are looking for, google it.  Supposedly, the survival rate is well over 90% if you catch it early.  Don't mess around with this stuff.

Kim and I appreciate your prayers on our behalf.   We love you all.

-Glenn

10 comments:

Amberly said...

wow. you're on the prayer list at the robinson house. things will go smoothly and you'll be back to normal in no time. you've got a fantastic wife with a very strong faith and I have no doubts that the two of you will weather this little storm well and come out on the other side closer and stronger. keep us posted.

Stephen & Kendra said...

Wow, that's really sad. I can't even imagine what you guys are going through. My heart goes out to you, all of you. I hope everything goes well. I will call the temple in Boise and get your name put on the roll. Thanks for letting us know.

Sarah said...

We are definitely praying for you guys and thinking about you

The Hansen's said...

We love you so much and hope that everything goes well and you have some answers soon so that you guys can plan and make decisions. You are both stronger than you think you are. We're praying for you.
Love you lots, Aub, Cody and Mya

Sarah Shelley said...

Our prayers are with you guys!

Leslie said...

The Jacobs clan will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Michelle said...

Oh wow. Sometimes I check out your blog from the Cluff's page to see pictures of your cute baby. I am so sorry to hear about all of this. You are in our prayers. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

-Michelle Rankin

Lindsay said...

I hope the surgery went well today. I've been thinking about you and your little family. Let us know how your doing!

Amy Mak said...

Glad to hear your surgery went well. We love you Glenn and you, Kim, and Tatey are in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Wow, I was reading the most recent post and was confused. You will be in ALL of our prayers (and believe us, when we say all of our prayers, we mean all of them. Its a kid thing.) We sure love you guys!!!!