About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New

New Job. New city. New apartment. New stores. New ward. New sights. New sounds. New smells. Lots of new this week.
Moved to Houston last Saturday. Crazy day. Not the best start to our experience here but honestly, it can only get better from that first day or two. Glenn moved our entire apartment up a flight of stairs and down a long hallway by himself. He called our new bishop to see if he could get some help but didn't hear back. He ended up asking a man who was cleaning the apartment next door to help him lift the few items that required two people. Frustrating moving into an apartment. Too far to leave Tate alone while Glenn and I moved things in so I just stayed in the apartment with Tate and unpacked. Glenn was VERY sore and VERY hot. First day in Houston: 90 degrees and 80 percent humidity. Yikes.
The next fun thing happened when Glenn decided to take a shower. Seemed like a good idea. We concluded later that the apartment must have been empty for a while leaving the water in the water heater to get really stale and nasty...or something. The hot water smelled really strongly of sulfur leaving Glenn and our entire apartment smelling quite strongly of rotten eggs for the rest of the evening. Yum.
Next we ventured, with the help of our handy GPS named Thomas, to our neighborhood Target. I thought I understood the standard Target layout and we'd be in and out quickly. Apparently all Targets are not created equal. So after a while we got to the check out line where the lady asked how we were. We informed her that we had just moved here today to which she replied, "You moved HERE? Why? I told my boyfriend when we get married we are moving out of here. I hate it here." Thanks so much lady. Have a nice evening.
So...not the best start to our summer but like I said, it can only get better. I am really trying to find the good in this experience. and I'm happy to report that thus far there have been many "bits of sunshine" that I am grateful for in this part of the world. There are a few things that I don't love and that are less than awesome living here...but I can deal with them. I love that we have a complex with a gym, a nice pool, lots of walking paths, and that is located in a really nice area of town surrounded by a huge park, several great museums, a golf course (Glenn is stoked), and the Houston zoo. I'm grateful to live in a city where there is a lot to see and do. I just need to make a list and start checking things off. Lots of professional sports teams, again, mostly for Glenn. A nice, clean apartment that fits everything we need and has a big open rectangle of carpet right in the middle that will fit our blow up mattress very nicely if anyone would like to visit! We'd show you a good time! You'll get a tan for sure! Any takers?
So here we are. Trucking along. Glenn is loving his new job so far. He is super spoiled. He has his own office with his name on the door, a window, a desk with two computers, basically they really want him to have a good experience. We drove up to the building the first day and looked up...for a long time. My husband is working in a HUGE high rise in the middle of downtown Houston. He said, "Kim, I'm working in the great and spacious building." I asked him if he ever saw this happening when he read that chapter when he was a little boy. He said, "Well, they did seem to be having a lot of fun in there."
I do have some fun pictures of our first few days here but they will have to wait until we have internet in our apartment.

7 comments:

Leslie said...

Sounds like you have lots to do. It seems exciting. Good luck. Also, your little guy is getting cuter and cuter in the weekly picture posts.

Brittany @ My Decoupaged Life said...

I grew up in Houston! And I loved it, so don't listen to that lady. If you have any questions on things to see or how to survive the summer (hint: hit that pool everyday), then feel free to ask. Yay for Houston! By the way, Tate is so adorable!

Amberly said...

AAAAHHH! Moving is so crazy! I'm glad you at least feel comfortable in your apartment, that is huge for me. No matter how weird and strange and foreign the world is out there, you've got a place to be safe and comfortable. Go exploring and let us know what you discover!

Amy Mak said...

What a great post. Hope you find more bits of sunshine. And Glenn stop smelling like rotten eggs!

Janelle said...

Oooh, Kim! I can't believe Glenn moved everything himself! You poor guys!
Hey, we are coming Memorial Day weekend - what should we do? Think of some good ideas and we'll play (you got my email, right?).
Can't wait to see ya'll again.
J

Aunt Debi said...

Good positive attitude! I've lived in Utah County my whole married life so moving to a new town sounds like a wonderful adventure to me. I forgot to tell you that I saw an old friend of yours while I was in the fabric store. Natalie Cook. She is married now and her husband is going to BYU.

Michelle said...

Oh man, what a miserable experience! Sorry its been so rough! Hopefully things will get better and you can enjoy it! Can't wait to have you back in Austin though :)