About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Dear Austin, We miss you.

We've moved. We now reside in Houston. It's been a crazy week and a very bitter sweet process. I've been actually categorizing the bitter and the sweet of this experience in my head this past week and this is the list I've come up with.
Bitter:
- Houston is not Austin. I've really grown to love Austin. There are so many amazing parks, cultural events and opportunities, places to swim and shop and eat out. It's big, but not too big. There are tons of trees and it just feels kind of cozy but we still have access to all the great big city perks. It's just a great place to live.
- Leaving so many friends who have become like a second family. Some really close friends. Some amazing people who I look up to and go to for help or just for company. People I completely trust to watch my little boy and little friends he asks for by name, sometimes first thing in the morning. It's so hard leaving that network I've worked so hard to build over the last two years and to start over.
- I miss our home. I have to not think about it or I just start to cry. I miss the beautiful neighborhood, the jogging paths, the swimming pool, the four grocery stores within a 5 minute drive, the outlet malls just up the street, the neighbors who were ready and waiting to help with any problem or question we had. My own space. My own garage. My own little world. The room we painted and decorated to bring our baby boy home to. The room where we paced the floors late at night with our crying newborn baby. The room where I played the piano and Tate danced around. The room where Glenn recovered from his surgery. The kitchen where I learned how to bake really good bread. It was our first home. The first place that really felt like ours. I have so many wonderful, tender, and precious memories in that house. I'm so so grateful for our time there. I miss it.
- I finally had Austin figured out. The freeways, the good places to eat, how to get around, and now I have to start all over in a MUCH bigger place.

Sweet:
- This move means we're on to bigger things in our lives. Glenn purchased a new car (more to come on that later. Good gracious I have so many things to record!). Glenn is finished with his masters degree. He is starting a fabulous new job tomorrow. A job that will be his career, his life for a really long time. It's wierd to be starting a phase of life that will be longer than a year or two. This is big and pretty permanant and it means a steady and comfortable income. That will be so crazy.
- Leaving Austin meant an excuse to see and spend copious amounts of time with great friends to "say goodbye". We only live a few hours away and we do have a house there so hopefully we'll be back for weekend jaunts. I had an extended girl date with my wonderful friend Lindsey, the Cluffs arranged a little going away partay where we were able to see lots of our favorite people, and we spent a few days hanging out with the Cluffs while the movers took over our house. It was awesome.
- It's comforting to look back on our experience in Austin and know that I will become familiar with my surroundings here eventually. I will grow to love this place for the experiences my little family will share here. It seems so foreign now, but so did Austin a couple of years ago.
- While I am so nervous about a lot of things this move means for me, I'm grateful for this time with my little family. Tate and Glenn and I have spent a lot of time together over the last couple of weeks and will continue to be alone a lot of the time until we get ourselves committed to various activities around here. I love the closeness that this experience brings us. We're really all we've got down here for a while. That's kinda nice.

6 comments:

Aunt Debi said...

I was hoping for some pictures of your new place but I guess I'll have to give you some time to get things put away. I miss you all but I'm excited for your new adventure! I do request a picture of Glenn in his new wheels! I'm sure he looks hot.

Joanie Harbor said...

awe, we miss you in Austin (although currently I am in SAN Antonio for another week in a hotel). How did the movers do? was everything there and accounted for? hope you guys are doing well!

Brittany @ My Decoupaged Life said...

Kim! You already have a friend in Houston! Adrian, Mackenzie, and I moved down here this summer! Give me a call: 801-836-3582. I'm still figuring out where things are but we can learn together!

Nate said...

Austin misses you. I am coming out for the TCU game in October so you need to be in Dallas or at least send Glen.

PS. I heart Texas

Glenn Makechnie said...

P.S. This is Austin, and I still love you.

AM said...

moving is definately bitter sweet but it will all work out in the end. so, sorry and congrats =o]