About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bugged

Today I'm bugged. Annoyed. Frustrated. Stressed out.
We have ants. Lots and lots of ants. I'm told they're called sugar ants. They look like tiny baby ants and they're living and apparently throwing really great parties in my pantry. We found them a few days ago scurrying along the shelves. I took everything out of the pantry, threw away a bunch of food they had helped themselves to (even though the bags were rolled up and clipped too), wiped everything down, and sprayed lots of spray. The next morning they were back. So I tried again, throwing away more food, wiping everything down, spraying different chemicals. No luck. They must really love my new house. Luckily they're not in every part of my kitchen, just one corner so far. Unfortunately the corner they settled in is the corner with my pantry and one little counter by my sink. It's been four days. I'm so grossed out by them. I realize it could be much worse. It could be cockroaches. It could be mice. It could be much nastier things. But I'm still grossed out. The fact that they won't die, that they're eating my food, that they're constantly reappearing on my counter and sink makes me super anxious. I'm really jumpy, inspecting everything, every bite, every utensil. I've just stopped going in the pantry. It grosses me out to see them on the shelves, on the boxes, in the food. I'm just going to wait until they're taken care of and then I'll go in there and clean it up and re-stock. I know, I'm a pansy. Glenn's pointed that out. But I can't help it. It's so gross.

We have a pest control person here tonight. She said it could be up to 7 days before they're completely gone. Ew.

We said goodbye to my family yesterday. We spent a wonderful week playing together in spite of the ants. I miss them so much already and I have so many pictures and stories to post. Hopefully I'll get around to it tomorrow. Just wanted to quickly get my frustration out about this particular situation. Yuck.

7 comments:

Amberly said...

that would totally gross me out as well. peppermint essential oil in a spray bottle with water is a great natural repellent- no chemicals and super effective. let me know if you want me to send you some. hopefully whatever your bug lady did works quickly!

Brittany @ My Decoupaged Life said...

Oh I'm so sorry! Ants really gross me out too. Come eat lunch over at our house!

Krista Hegstrom said...

My mom and dad's house has the same problem. Super grossed me out – especially when my dad would be eating raisins and note that he just tasted an ant because it was bitter and just keeps eating them.

AdCam said...

The ants go marching 2 by 2 hoo raw hoo raw. Sorry Kimmi.... But they too shall pass. Can't wait to come see your beautiful abode. Hope you are all healthy and happy there despite your tiny visitors. Love you!

Croslands said...

Yep, gross. I left a bottle of advil open one night while staying there in texas and by morning they had eaten off the candy coating. Make sure that you sign up for a regular bug service. We have to do that out here too.
Pictures of the house please.

Sarah Shelley said...

We totally have the same problem. At first, I always had to get a paper towel and kill them. Now I just squish 10 on my finger and wash them off. There is a great product called "Amdro" that does a pretty good job killing them. It is something you put outside (although I have gotten so fed up with them, I have put it inside too) and the ants take it back to feed to the queen...and no more ants! We have also done Home Defense. You just have to keep kids away from it, of course. Also, I sometimes just spray clorox and that stops them. I have found, however, once you get rid of them in one spot they move to another unless you are able to kill the "queen." Good luck!!! I feel your pain.

Aunt Debi said...

OK, I really need you to change you blog so I can see a picture of your darling son or pretty house and not that ugly insect! Mom