About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

The time Glenn threw me a Surprise Party

Yep.  My honey is a serious sneak.  He called me two days before my birthday and told me that he wanted to take me out to dinner but he couldn't find a so Sister Baxter, the sweet momma of our regular sitter, volunteered to watch them while we went to dinner.  I protested, of course and told him I'd rather just go out together, but he said no.  He wanted to take me out for my birthday.  I said what about what I want?  He said, I'll think about it.  Perfect.  Thanks a lot, Glenn.
Turns out he'd been lying to me for days.  Telling me he was elsewhere when he was really picking up food for the barbeque, stashing it at the Baxter's house, setting everything up at the park.  Then when the time came we loaded the kids in the car to take them to the Baxter's house and he turned into the clubhouse parking lot instead.  It was FULL of cars and there was a rather embarrassingly large crowd of people waiting.  
Honestly, not what I would have chosen for my birthday (who would choose a surprise party given the choice?  It's a bit embarrassing.) but it was very flattering.  I was so surprised at how many people planned, schemed, made food to share, ran the grill the entire evening, and brought their whole families out on a pretty windy evening just to wish me happy birthday.  We counted afterwards and there were 15 families who came.  It was very sweet and I felt very loved.  Glenn managed to get a few pictures while chasing Finn around.  Finn thinks he can do everything the big kids can and he's getting really fast which makes for a lot of falls.
The Cluffs even made their special Cluff cookies and drove all the way down from Broomfield to partake in the festivities with their 4 week old baby Katie.  They look very serious in this picture, but I think they all had fun!
My birthday cake.
 Well played Glenn...and everyone else who schemed and lied to me on my birthday to make this party possible.
Glenn did give me a date night for my birthday.  He got us tickets, great tickets by the way, to see Les Miserables on Saturday.  Other than a rather unfortunate shoe selection on my part, the evening was delightful.  We had dinner at a fun outdoor cafe down town then walked (here's where the poor shoe choice comes in) to the theatre for the show.  I've seen it several times so I was expecting it to be like I've seen it before, but I wasn't aware that for the 25th anniversary of the show they did a complete re-staging.  It's very different than the original staging and I REALLY enjoyed analyzing all the changes and seeing how different the new direction made the show.  I talked Glenn's ear off afterward and he was very sweet to at least pretend he was listening.  Maybe he really was, maybe he was going over lacrosse plays in his mind, but either way, I appreciate his indulging my excited word vomit because he knows I have to talk after we see a show.
Glenn dear, thank you for making my 30th birthday a memorable one.  You're a wonderful sweetheart.  I love you, babe.

2 comments:

The Hansen's said...

I am still in love with this whole suprise party scheme!! You deserve to know how utterly and completely you are loved and admired! You are an amazing friend and I'm sure it only took these sweet people seconds to figure that out.
How fun to see a show! I need to get myself out there to see one with you so that you can teach me and we can both jabber on about whatever it is we want. Happy Birthday my dear!!! I love ya!

Janelle said...

Yeah, I do look super serious. I was probably scolding one of my children. Or really cold. Or both. It was a fun party - well done, Glenn! Welcome to your 30's. It just keeps getting better. Love ya!