About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Dear Kenna,

Dear Kenna,

You are one year old today, little girl.  How on earth did that happen?!  I swear you were just barely born.  And I would sit up in the hospital bed, singing songs to you while you slept.  Actually excited over every squeak that you made because it meant I got to pick you up and hold you again.  It felt like I won a prize.  Some incredible contest that I was lucky enough to be the Momma to two baby girls.  Two perfect, healthy, beautiful little tiny baby girls.  The tiniest babies I'd ever seen or held.  And they were mine!  It just felt too good to be true, but somehow it was!    When we first found out we were having twins, and then discovered that you were both little girls, I was a little nervous.  We had Tate and Finn and we thought the boy thing seemed pretty easy.  We had it figured out.  And the thought of adding two girls our family made us, well maybe just me, a little nervous.  But one day when you were just a couple of weeks old I heard your Dad telling someone that you and Taryn were easier babies combined than either of your brothers were as babies on their own.  At first I thought, "that's a little extreme, Glenn."  But after a moment's thought, I knew he was right.  You two have been wonderful babies.  Which, considering all the traveling and schedule changing and moving around we've done, is pretty miraculous, honey.  You and Taryn are content, easy, sweet little babies and you make our family better.  We make more sense somehow and feel closer and more complete than ever.  I can't imagine our lives without our two sweet girls and I still feel like I won a prize every day, looking at the two of you playing together.  How did I get so lucky?

I'm so glad you have such great siblings.  Tate and Finn adore you and Taryn.  They are so proud of you and will show you off endlessly to anyone who will pause as we're walking by.  It's so sweet.  Finn's favorite thing to do is make goofy noises and faces to make you laugh, and you do, Kenna.  You laugh so hard and so easily for Finn.  He can get the biggest smiles and the best belly laughs much easier and faster than anyone else in the world.  It's beautiful what you guys have together.  And I'm so very glad you came into this world and our family with your sister.  Your Auntie Mallo and I are really close but our age difference was a barrier when we were younger.  One of my first thoughts on learning that you two were coming at the same time was, "oh I hope they have what Mal and I have from the very beginning!"  I hope you love each other.  That you're best friends and never forget how lucky you are to have a sister who is going through everything at the same time as you.  Growing teeth, trying new foods, switching to new car seats, learning to walk.  Every new hurdle in life will hit you two at the same time and I'm just so glad you'll always have each other as you leap.

Oh my Kenna. I love you, little one.  You have the sweetest little tender heart.  From day one you've been a little more vocal about your needs than your sister.  You were the one to wake up first and sound the alarm like clockwork when it was time to eat.  You made the noise so she never had to because she got fed at the same time anyway.  We've been told this is often the way with twinners.  One will be the caretaker and one will be content, knowing that she's taken care of.  Your little cry sounds like your heart is breaking.  When you're tired, hungry, or heaven forbid, we put you down or walk away when you really want to be held, you cry like it's the end of the world.  Not like you're angry at all.  Like you are hurt and so so sad.  It's so funny and cute.  Those moments are few though compared to the moments when you are so happy and content just to play, explore, and find things to get into.  Your smile is easy.  You're very friendly.  And when we meet new people, which we frequently do as we're traveling and EVERYONE wants to meet you when we pass in the street, you are the first to reward them for stopping to say hi, with a big grin.  Usually with your little tongue sticking out.  

We call you Baby K, Kenna baby, Miss K or occasionally K Town.  You are very adventurous and have really loved having your mobility.  You and your sister's favorite things to get into in every room are the things we CONSTANTLY tell you not to touch.  The water cooler, plugs and outlets, the toilet (playing in the water or flushing), toilet paper, emptying cupboards and drawers.  But those are the things you are very clearly most excited and motivated to get to.  I don't know if we're going to be able to teach you any time soon to avoid them.  Repetition doesn't seem to be doing it.  Miraculously you seemed to stay away from the Christmas tree when we asked you to.  Every other request though, has been ignored like it's hilarious that we even asked.  You're dangerously close to walking.  You've just started this week to walk with Finn's little Lightning McQueen walker and you light up like you've never been so proud.  I love those moments.  Seeing your face light up with pride is one of my most favorite sights in the world.

This year has been a very busy year, baby girl.  We've traveled all over the place.  When you were a teensy little three-month old baby we went to London as a family to watch your Daddy run a marathon.  Since then we've been to the United States for the first time, the UAE, Oman, Spain, Italy, Monaco, France, Germany and Austria.  It's been an incredible year, baby girl.  And while I know you won't remember these things because you're just too new to the world, we couldn't imagine doing them without our little sisters.  Traveling with twin babies isn't very easy, but it's fun to see how easily you win people over wherever we go and you two really are such good babies.  

You LOVE the water, Kenna.  When you were a new baby we'd take you to the pool in Rakah and you'd be so happy and relaxed that you'd just fall asleep on your shoulders as we watched your brothers play in the water. Once you got old enough to sit up in the bath you started to splash with the happiest little proud smile on your face.  It makes us very happy that you and your sister love the water so much as it seems to be one of our family things.  We love to swim and it's very lucky that all of you do as well!

You're not a very picky eater.  I think the only thing you've turned down so far is green beans.  You love all fruits and can go through several handfuls of those little baby puffs in a sitting.  You attacked your little birthday cupcake tonight with such enthusiasm I was bent over laughing.  It's been really fun to watch you discover new foods.  You still don't have any teeth so I think once you grow in a few of those your range of foods we can give you will get even bigger.

I love reading stories to you and your sister.  It was kind of a wiggle-fest at first but recently you two have started to immediately snuggle up when I put a book in front of you.  Usually Taryn turns the pages, I'm not sure if that's just the agreement between you or if you just don't want to move your arm.  But you both sit there, snuggled and still while we read.  Sometimes you'll smile or giggle a bit at some joke you perceive in the story.  Then as soon as the last page is turned, you and your sister start squirming and crying and trying to get away because you know that nap time is coming next!

You're good little sleepers for the most part.  You're still taking a morning and afternoon nap.  Usually they're about an hour and a half each.  Sometimes you and your sister have nightmares for a few nights in a row.  It's really heartbreaking to see.  You're usually crying in your sleep and it takes a bit to wake you up.  It sounds so scared and sad and I wonder what on earth you could be thinking about that makes you feel that way.  So unfair for teensy babies!  Luckily, as with most tricky things, you two seem to take turns.  It's a rare moment when both of you are upset or not sleeping well or sick at the same time.  It's a huge blessing that usually only one of you is in desperate need at one time.  I hope that trend continues because it feels really helpless on those rare moments when you do both need me and I have to make one of you wait.  

Oh baby Kenna, I love you so very much.  I was really nervous about having twin little girls.  If you'd like me.  If I'd be able to be enough for both of you.  If I'd be a good momma to baby girls.  But my sweet girl, I just couldn't imagine my life without you.  Your expressive little chocolate eyes and your tender heart speaks to mine.  Your teensy pig tails and drooly smile just own me.  You're an incredible, beautiful, strong and sweet little girl.  We can tell so many wonderful qualities about the little person you are already and we can't wait to see what you'll become in the next year.   I'll miss tiny baby Kenna.  The way your little body fit way up on my shoulder.  The way your whispy hair fell to the tips of your ears.  The way your tiny chin would shiver when you cried and how quickly your eyes fill up with tears and how they'd stop when we turned on music or sang you a song.  The way you curl your arms in and tuck your bottom up when you snuggle in my arms.  I've loved this first year of your life and I know that the second year is going to be just as magical.  

Thanks for a wonderful year you little darling.  I love you.  
The world is yours,
Mom

1 comment:

The Hansen's said...

These sweet words to your amazing, beautiful, happy, loved baby girls brought tears to my eyes. You are the most amazing mother and your darling children are so blessed to have you as their mother. Happy birthday from across the world my little loves! Auntie Aubry misses you and loves you to infinity and beyond.