About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Roller Derby

Last weekend we tried something new. It's fun to live in a place where we can try new things all the time! Some of our good friends, the Cluffs from Austin, were down for the weekend and Janelle's sister happens to be on the Austin "Honky Tonk Heartbreakers" Roller Derby team and they were having a bout here in Houston (we learned the event is called a "bout" not a match or a game) so they invited us to watch. I was pretty stoked. I've wanted to see a Roller Derby bout just for the sheer uniqueness of the thing, but never really had a reason or opportunity to, so this was perfect! We even had someone to cheer for.
Glenn and Tate with the Cluff Family.
I wasn't sure what to expect but had a really good time! Basically there are two teams and they skate around the track super fast and there is one member of each team called the "Jammer" who wears a star on their helmet. The jammers have to skate faster than the big group and lap members of the other team. They get a point for each member of the opposite team they lap. So there's this huge mass of skaters with members of both teams in it and they're all trying to keep the Jammer who isn't on their team from passing them while trying to help out the Jammer on their own team. Yeah, I was confused for a while too. Basically it's a whole bunch of grown women trying to block players with their bums or push them over with their shoulders or skate into them from the side. It was awesome.
It seems like every time we do something new we stumble into this whole sub-culture that we never knew existed. I don't know what I loved more. The grown women in spandex and tulle skirts and fishnet stockings with bright blue, green, or pink eye shadow, the fact that we got a jersey thrown to us during the warmups that has this logo on it: (yep, that's an almost naked lady wearing skates and riding a rocket. pajama shirt? Hmmm) the coach of the Houston team who was sporting a great mohawk and a kilt, the interesting roller derby fans that surrounded us with their language, undying devotion to the sport and spilt beer, or the roller derby names. I think it's probably the names. I had fun just reading their names in the program and on their jerseys. Some of my favorites include: Death by Chocolate (she happened to be one of the 2 black girls in the bout), Scarlet O'Hurtya, CoCo ChanHell, Princess Prozac, Desi Cration, Angie Christ, Ivana B. Sedated, and Glenn's favorite Tex Offender. Wow. I have been thinking this week what my roller derby name would be. Hmmm. I would go for Death by Ice Cream Mmmmm, but that sounds less menacing and more fat housewife. Which lead me to Freezr Burn, Crashalicious (based on my stellar skating skills), or maybe Skaterella, I do love fairy tales. It's harder than I thought. Overall, a very enjoyable evening. Really glad we checked out the Roller Derby.
What would your Roller Derby name be? I found some roller derby name generators if you want some help. I'm telling you, it's a culture of its own.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

Stephen keeps talking about how we should have put a big star on Liz's helmet (so she'd look like a Jammer). We had a lot of fun. I'm glad you got to see into the Roller Derby sub-culture. My sister fits in rather well, doesn't she?
I went to one of those name generators. So funny!

The Hansen's said...

Hilarious!! My good friend is in the Roller Derby league here in SLC. It is pretty crazy stuff. Glad you guys enjoyed it.
Aren't you lovin' my roller derby name... Abby DaBlockHer

Nate said...

Texas is making you think things like roller derby are normal. Get out now.

McKenzie said...

I've always thought it'd be cool to go to a roller derby.