About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Wet

Sunday morning Glenn discovered a wet patch in our ceiling. He investigated in the attic and discovered a leak in some part of our AC unit. He stayed home from church while an AC guy came to look at it and they thought they had the problem figured out. Glenn had a friend come over last night with a saw to remove a piece of plywood so we could get fans in to dry the right area of the ceiling and then a repair man came today to fix what they thought was the problem. Awesome. Problem solved. AC back on. Just need to get it dried out and find a ladder tall enough to get up to paint the ceiling. Easy.
Glenn went up this evening to have a look. Still leaking. Must be a different problem. Another night with the AC turned off to avoid more leakage. Another call to the home warranty people tomorrow to see when they can send someone to look at it. Luckily it should all be covered in the home warranty and we found the problem before our warranty expired. It's just inconvenient. And a bit warm. Also luckily, it hasn't been too hot the last couple days. Hopefully it will be completely fixed soon.
And while we're on the subject of things that are wet...potty training. I've been thinking about it for a while. Knowing it's something that needs to happen and something I would really like to be "finished" before little baby arrives...but Tate has been VERY resistant to the idea. We've been trying to warm him up to the idea for months. Talking about it, trying to run him to the potty when we know it's time, acting like it's a big exciting deal. He's been completely disinterested or worse. Once I knew he was starting to go and I ran with him to the bathroom, him screaming all the way, and it ended with me trying to pull his shorts down and him desperately holding them up and having a total freak out sobbing melt down. I just let it go for a while thinking it would surely be easier when he's "ready", right? There would surely come a time when the proposal of going on the potty wouldn't make him completely panic, right?
Well, tonight for FHE we went to Target intending to let him pick out some fun underpants and start the potty conversations again. He was really excited. So we decided to pick out a few motivation toys...and some stickers for a chart. He's thrilled. He's been talking about it all night. We let him try on his underpants when he got home and he said he wanted to try to go on the potty. No results, of course, but the fact that he sat on the thing without a single sob is a big deal! So...now that we have the gear and he's excited...I guess we're trying it...tomorrow.
I've read and re-read the three day potty training method that my cousin Amberly and then my sister-in-law Aub used to great success, and I do feel like it's sounds logical, feasible even, which for me and the subject of potty training is a big deal. I'm really nervous. Nervous about his emotional state. Nervous about how he'll react. Nervous about keeping him motivated when it stops being new and fun. This method is big on positive reinforcement. Diving into potty training without pull-ups, back-ups or crutches. It sounds perfect. I hope he's really ready. I'm excited that he seemed okay with it this evening. Hopefully that lasts! Wish us luck tomorrow!

9 comments:

Debi said...

Potty training and taking away the binky were the worst for me. I'm glad he at least sat on the potty today that is a huge improvement. Good luck the next three days! Especially with not AC!

Amberly said...

such a bummer about the leaky situation! so glad it's covered. and sending lots of angels your way this week as you and tate master the potty! don't stress, take deep breaths and praise like crazy, every little thing. love you!

The Hansen's said...

Sorry about that rotten leak in your roof. That is no fun at all. You guys will do great, I'm glad that he isn't as scared of the potty. Good luck with this new adventure, we love you!!!

Brittany @ My Decoupaged Life said...

All I have to say about potty training: patience. About everything. Cause it will definitely test yours

Michelle said...

Potty training is HARD! Good luck! And Brittany is right...PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE!!! And, at least at first, I think accidents are good because it helps them learn to recognize their own bodies faster. Once I got over the fear of accidents and allowed them to happen, it went better. But uhhhh still...potty training has been the most frustrating part of motherhood for me! But it's SOOOO great when it's done and they are so excited and proud as well! Good luck!

Leslie said...

We did the three day method with Tralee. Worked like a charm. Before that she was literally throwing her potty across the room while screaming, "NO!" We had no meltdowns with the three day method. Just lots of praise and love. By the end of day two, Tralee had it DOWN! YIPEE! I have yet to attempt potty training with Hunter. I don't think I'm ready yet. Good luck with Tate!

Krista Hegstrom said...

Best of luck on the potty training! I'm facing the same stage right around now! One day we'll laugh at how hard it seemed...right?

Amy Mak said...

How is it going? I hope it's better. I loved Rosemond's method - it worked well but some kids were definitely harder than others (Brynne!) Good luck!

Janelle said...

Getting him excited about it is a good idea. Tori and I are both so stubborn, it took her til after her 3rd birthday before she was "finished" and that was just during the day. She wore pull-ups at night til she was 4. Every kid is different, and you just have to go at their pace. Lizzy, is almost completely 100% potty-trained, day and night. And she's not even 3 yet. So, good luck!