About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Who does this?

Glenn is out of town this whole week on a school field trip. It bites. I'm lonely. And that will be the end of my whining on that subject.
There's really nothing new in my life this week. I'm just running a lot of errands and working a lot and trying to get some things done around the house when I get home.
Since my life is pretty boring, I thought I would share a funny retail story. I was working in the store last week when I had a run-in with an interesting little girl and her interesting mother. The mother had just purchased some things for her little girl who was probably around 3 years old. They were leaving the store and the mom noticed that her little girl was walking kind of funny. Her mom said, "Oh no! What do you have?" The girl proceeded to lift up her dress and pull some hair clips that were still on the little plastic hang tag from the crotch of her underwear. The mom got really upset and told the girl that it was very naughty to take things without asking or paying for them. She put the "crotch clips" on the register and went to leave the store again. (What am I going to do with the hair clips that were in her little girls underwear? Gross!) On their way out the little girl started to bawl and scream at the top of her lungs and make a real scene. Several other customers were watching by now and the mother, frantic that her little girl wouldn't calm down said, "Well, if you would like to show me what you would like I would be happy to buy them for you, but you just can't take them." So the little girl takes her mom to where the hair clips are in the store and the mom picks up some clean clips, that presumably hadn't previously been in anyone's underwear. Then she asks her daughter if she wants anything else and they pick out some socks and a purse. The mom came up to the register to pay for her little thief's items and when she wasn't looking I switched the clean hair clips for the ones that had been in her little girls underwear because, seriously, that's disgusting. The mom paid for the things and handed the little girl her bag and they happily left the store.
Several questions come to mind when I think of these two ladies:
  • How many times must the little girl have attempted to steal or actually stolen merchandise in the crotch of her underpants for her mother to recognize the signs as they left the store on that day?
  • How did this little girl who couldn't have been any older than 3 come up with this idea?
  • Why would the mother not buy the very hair clips that had been in her little daughter's underwear? Not only did she not buy them, she attempted to buy another, clean pair of hair clips. What?

I'm learning so much about parenting from working at a baby and kids store. Most of the lessons are sort of common sense, but entertaining none the less.

7 comments:

Krista Hemsley said...

haha that is great, and really gross!!! i love how you keep referring to them as "crotch clips"

The Hansen's said...

That is absolutely hilarious! I had good chuckle at this. Thanks! I guess that since they have money they feel like they don't have to take items that their crotch has comtaminated. Yikes!

The Hunt's said...

or...why did the mother reward her thieving child's behavior with buying her something??!!! hello! sometimes you just have to shake your head and hope the kid turns out ok! and note to self: wash hair clips before putting them in T's hair, sick!!

ps-just bought tessie's xmas dress from j & j, the little black velvet with white trim, so cute! and the little red mary janes. how do i love that store and how do you bring home any money??!!

natabird said...

I fear for that child when she is a teenager. I don't think it's a good idea to reward stealing with buying your child whatever she wants... Maybe I'm crazy. I think you did the right thing by switching out the clean clips for the crotch clips... like not being able to return a swimsuit... it's unsanitary.

Unknown said...

Yuck. And another question...why in the world would she be rewarded for knocking off such obnoxious behavior! Duh. Lets all learn from it right?

Aunt Debi said...

Yesterday I just saw another mom go back and buy something that her daughter wanted just because she threw a fit. I think mom's should be pround to drag a screaming, spoiled child from a store! You have to teach them early that they can't have whatever they want by throwing a fit. Is'nt that common sense?

AM said...

what the????? are you kidding me? oh my! another question came to my mind when i read your story: do you have hand sanitizer at your register? =o]
sorry you are lonely- i totally know how that feels! soon you will never be alone though, so savor this chapter of your life that is about to close forever! =o] i love being a mom, but it has taught me a lot about what a gift personal time is!