About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Picture Tuesday, 8 weeks old

I took Taryn and Kenna in for their 2 month check up today.  They are growing like weeds.  Which I guess I knew, but it was still crazy to see the exact amount they've grown in the last month!  Kenna now weighs 9 pounds, 9 ounces and Taryn weighs 9 pounds 7 ounces.  We were able to schedule their check up here on Rakah which was SUPER convenient.  I had a friend watch Tate and Finn at the park and I just walked over to the clinic.  The nurses argued with me a bit about getting the girls undressed.  They just don't care about a super accurate weight here and they were also vocal about the girls catching cold if they were naked in the air conditioning.  Oh well.  I'm doin' it.  I do want to know my babies' exact weights.  Sorry if that inconveniences you.  But not really.
There were four nurses there.  Two from the Middle East and two from the UK.  The difference in care and interaction was really interesting.  I was glad the Irish nurse was there to back me up once in a while and say, "That's how we do it at home too."
I really liked the doctor.  He was pretty chill, and again, if theses ladies were my first two babies or if they had any serious health concerns I'd be kinda bugged that he didn't give me gobs of information about their wellbeing.  He looked at Kenna first and noted how strong she was holding up her head and chest when he put her on her tummy.  Then he looked at Taryn and said, "Oh she is more chubby, yes?"  Actually, no.  I was surprised too today when Kenna still outweighed Taryn.  She seems a bit more chubber to me.  He was so surprised that he had us weigh her again just to make sure the nurses didn't switch their weights on accident.  He said Taryn's heart murmur was barely audible and that he wouldn't be surprised if it went away.  That made me really happy.  They both look perfectly healthy.  They're in the 25th percentile for weight right now but they're climbing and gaining great weight so he says they're doing perfectly.
After that we went back in to the nurses room and they got the shots ready. They only had two shots this time because one was apparently a 6 in 1 vaccine.  I had to ask them what was in the shots so I could check them off my little vaccination chart I printed off from US standards and they weren't really happy with the few extra seconds they had to spend with me to explain what they were going to inject into my babies thighs.  Oh man things are different here.  Then I had the nerve to ask them to have two nurses give the shots so they could do them at the same time. The Middle Eastern nurses again looked at me like I had two heads.  "It's only another few seconds.  The baby will be just fine." I know.  But please just do this for me.  I promise no one will get hurt if you just try it.  Purely to make me happy so I have to watch my screaming baby girl for just a couple seconds fewer, okay?  Another thing that is different here is that they ask you to wait for 15 minutes after the shots to see if the babies are developing a reaction.  My poor babies cried so hard they turned purple when they got their shots.  Little Kenna had tears rolling down her face and Taryn's face was so squished up and she stopped breathing for a second while she worked up a big wail.  It was pretty cute but also really pitiful.  They both wailed for just a minute or so and then Taryn fell right to sleep and Kenna settled down and sat there in her stroller looking at me.  Man, I love my little girls.  They are such sweeties.  I'm really glad it was a very positive doctor's appointment and the fact that is was way more convenient was a huge plus too!
The girls are smiling a little bit more.  They probably smile at me once or twice every time they're awake.  They're not super interactive yet, but I'm sure it will come.  I have to keep reminding myself that they are not the boys.  They are two months old, but they're still only 9 pounds.  They're still growing and catching up in some ways.  They've been sleeping well at night.  The last few nights we've had 7 or 7 and a half hour stretches from 10pm to 4:30 or 5.  It's been so great.  It's also been a fun week to have Tate at home and see him love on his sisters while he's off school on Spring Break.
 We finally got the girls Iqamas this week.  They both have Kennas pictures on them still but the names are correct this time so we're rolling with it.  We're going to Bahrain for the weekend and so excited for a little getaway!  And the girls first passport stamps!  At two months old!  This life is crazy town.
Kenna and Taryn, 8 weeks old.

No comments: