About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mysteries of Man

I've been pondering this last week how it is that guys who are really into sports (or hunting, or computers, or whatever hobby it may be) can take in so many sporting events and never get bored of sports. Now my husband is not nearly as bad as many husbands I have met and heard about. He got tickets to one of the most important college football games this year and he sold them because he knew he could make a lot of money from the tickets. He missed a football game to go to a ward activity with me because I really needed to meet people in the ward. He's just really sad on those days. The man loves sports. He can watch sports center every morning (and more than just mornings on days he has off of school), he can go to sports games twice a week every week and he still looks up scores online for other games he didn't hear about or watch when he gets home at night. Nearly every conversation he has with his buddies has something to do with sports somewhere in there. He also finds guys in stores or wherever we go who are wearing some team's shirt or hat and strikes up a conversation about how that team is doing. I understand that boys like sports...I guess I just can't think of anything in my life that I can relate to that level of dedication or dare I say obsession.
I like to shop. I like to watch the news and certain TV shows. I like music and theatre and films. I love swimming. I have a lot of interests that I could fill my time with every day. I just don't think there is anything I like to do that I could do every day and not get bored of it after a couple of weeks. I go shopping for Christmas and can spend all day at malls and shopping centers and outlets and then after that day I really don't want to go at it again for a while. I enjoy certain TV shows but I have never arranged my schedule so that I don't miss one particular show week after week. I love watching plays and movies, but I don't have to go every week. I don't get really sad if a certain play is in town and I miss it. And I don't have to talk to my friends about what shows are on broadway or the west end every season.
Do you guys have a sports equivalent. Something that you really think about and talk about every day? Glenn has always loved sports. He's not a totally changed man or anything. However, the amount of time and attention paid to sports has undeniably gone up since we moved here. I think it may have something to do with the following few variables: a lot of friends here who are sports lovers and with whom he can discuss sports quite often, being on a fantasy football league which he hasn't done in the past, and attending and therefore having some personal stake in a university who currently has the number 1 football team in the nation. I have suspicions that the academic credentials of the University of Texas and their geology department may not have been the only reason this university was so appealing to Glenn. Hmmm.
Just something I've been pondering lately. Yet another mystery of man.

5 comments:

The Hansen's said...

Yes it is puzzling isn't it. I don't have anything that I can say I devote that much dedication to. Someday maybe I will be overtaken with such a thing, but until then I am content to just be and enjoy putzing around in all my little things.
PS love the cute new blog background

Lindsay said...

oh my gosh, I love this post! It is SO true. Guys get so 'into' something and it's like pulling teeth for them to get out of their 'funk'. At least Glenn went to the ward activity for you! That's something!

Croslands said...

I've been sitting here thinking...what do I do that equals it? Pretty much nothing. But you've got me stumped and so I'll be thinking about this for a long time trying to come up with an equal.

Kurtus said...

Oh I see, so it's all my fault. I have to say my wife feels the same way. The only thing I can say is support him in his love. He really does love you more.

Unknown said...

My kids were the only thing that came to mind. Its all I do, eat, drink, sleep and breath. Not quite sure if its and obsession or not, just something that I talk about constantly, think about constantlyl. Just wait until Glenn has that cute little buddy to sit and watch with sports. Oh my! Yea, can I say that Kev called today and signed Tanner up for Throwdown Wrestling? Yea, all 29 lbs of him! MEN! But where would we be without them?