About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Dear Tate,

Three. Three years ago today you came into our family. Another year gone. Another birthday. Another year you've grown bigger, better, and further from the tiny baby you once were. Your dad and I look at you all the time and comment how big you've grown. This year in particular. All of a sudden you're no longer a baby or a toddler, you're a little boy. A darling, smart, sweet little boy.

Your dad and I are constantly amazed by you, Tate. You have an amazing little mind and we love to listen to the sweet things you say and figure out how your little head works. You love books and memorize very quickly. We check out books from the library once every few weeks and you have them memorized and quote passages throughout the day after reading them just a few times. You love Curious George books and other books about animals but you'll listen to any book we'll read to you. You also love movies. Toy Story and Cars are favorites of course. You also love the Peter Pan musical and your latest favorite is African Cats. You love to watch it and name all the animals as they appear on the screen. You chatter to yourself or to whoever will listen all day long. Constantly quoting movies or books, or just making up stories as you play with your toys. Your little voice just melts my heart. It still sounds like my little baby boy. So small, sweet, and tender. Your lisp is so precious. I realize there will come a day when we may have to help you get rid of it...but not now. I just love it. It makes all the sweet things you say sound even more sweet. Your laugh is just as infectious as it's always been. Your Nanna described it today as "pure joy", which sounds exactly right. Your smile lights up your whole face, just like your dad's does. It's a wonderful trait.

You have a great imagination that's just beginning to show itself. You can play with a few toys by yourself all day long. Your favorite toys right now are trains, cars, and all sorts of tractors. The toys talk to each other and act out funny situations. You've also begun to pretend to be characters yourself. Sometimes you're animals, and then Dad and I are the mom and dad of the same animal. Sometimes you're a character from a book or a movie. It's always so fun to watch and play along with just to see how far you take it.

You and I have spent a lot of time this year playing together. We've done just about everything there is to do in Houston, parks, swimming pools, outdoor movies, NASA, the aquarium. But your favorite by far was going to the zoo. You absolutely love animals. You know all their names and the noises they make. We went there together a lot. Probably every other week. And it never got old for you. Your favorites varied. One week it would be the elephants, then the chimpanzees or the giraffes. The little aquarium with the sting rays and jelly fish was always a favorite. Now that we're moving, the zoo is one of the things I'll miss most. Being able to live so close to the Houston Zoo and visit so often was such a cool opportunity and I'm glad we were able to give it to you.

You love music and are always happier when there's music playing in the car or house. You don't sing as much as you used to. You don't love to perform anymore. Sometimes you'll sing to yourself, but rarely on demand anymore. I love the nights when we put you to bed and you stay up singing to yourself in your bed for an hour or more. Your Dad and I just sit downstairs and listen to your sweet voice.

This year you've grown to really love being around other kids. You're a VERY friendly little boy. Often times we'll go to the park, doctor's office, bank, grocery store, wherever, and you'll just start up a conversation with someone, anyone you come across. You'll introduce yourself, ask their name, and then inform me, "Mom, I'm talking to my friend!" I love that about you and hope it continues to be a part of your personality. You're so confident right now and so sure that anyone you meet wants to be your friend. They do buddy. And if they don't, they're missing out. You're the coolest little boy around. You had some fun little friends in Houston and I'm sad we had to leave them and start over again. You'll probably adjust just fine. It will probably be yet another situation where you adjust and recover easily and I ache and worry on your behalf long after you're over it. That's just my job I suppose. Over-worrying about everything that could possibly hurt my little boy. Luckily, most of my worrying over you is unfounded. You adjust well to just about everything life could throw at you.

You're a very well-behaved little boy, Tate. You've just begun, the last few months, to throw some little fits when you don't get your way. Some days you're a little tender and cry pretty easily but you also recover quickly. You certainly can be stubborn when you want to but you're usually willing to make a compromise. You're pretty good at sharing toys with other kiddos and get along well with kids on play dates. You want everyone to be happy and if there's anything you can do to make them happy, you do it. When someone's crying (me, for example), you run to them and give them a hug then stand back and wait for your sweet snugs to work their magic. Your hugs do make me happy Tate. And I hope you'll always give them as freely as you do now!

This year has been a full one for our family. You've been subjected to a lot of big changes and you've handled them like a champ. We moved from our apartment into a house. A house you loved with your own toy room. It was like heaven for you. I was pretty sick while I was pregnant with Finn and you were very patient with slow days when I felt gross. Then little Finn came into our lives just 2 months ago and you've been a darling big brother to him. You love to touch him, hug him, point out each of his tiny parts, and give him his binky when he cries. He loves you already. He seems to know that you're going to be his favorite in the house. He looks for you and smiles when he hears your voice. I know you two will be great friends and I'm excited for him to grow up so you can play together.

Now we're in the middle of another crazy transition. Today we're at Nanna's house playing with family and in two days we move into our apartment in Denver where we'll live while looking for another new house. You don't really understand yet how different our lives will be now. You don't understand that we've left Texas and we might not be going back. We've left the only home you've ever known, but it's a good move for our family. I know you'll love Denver and we'll have tons of fun new adventures together.

Tate, I love you. You're my first baby and your birthdays are extra special for me. Not only because I get to celebrate another year with you, but also because it marks the day I became a mother. The best role I've ever played, the best job I've ever had, the greatest thing I've ever done. And it all started today, three years ago when I met you, my boy, and my life changed forever. I adore you. You and your little brother just own my heart. I find such joy in your accomplishments and things that make you happy and I ache when you hurt. I just dread the time when you will leave me all day and go to school. I feel so lucky to be able to spend all day with you and will be jealous of your teachers when they get to see you more hours of the day than I. It's crazy how completely you little boys take over our lives. Even when your dad and I go out we're noticing buses, construction vehicles, police cars and such that we would point out to you if you were with us. You're a wonderful little boy, my Tate. We're very blessed to be your parents and we'll do our best to raise you to know how smart and amazing you are. The world is yours, my Tate.
Happy birthday.
Love,
Mom

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So sweet. :)

The Hansen's said...

Happy birthday Mr. Tate, we love you so very much and were so excited to have you to play with for a few days. You are such a sweet boy, we love you lots.

Dustin and Tricia Bunderson said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! You are missed in the summerwood ward already, but I'm excited to find out about your new adventures in Denver. I send you an invite to our blog. Keep in touch!