About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

The one where I talk about my feelings....

I have a lot of feelings about Houston and Texas that I want to record before I leave. It's been a crazy ride the past few years. A ride that was not at all what I expected in a lot of ways. Our time in Austin was fun. My baby Tate was born there and Glenn attended an amazing graduate school. We met some good friends. Some life long friends. One of whom is moving to Denver too, in just a few months! Another good friend had her second boy just one day before Finn was born. We've spent a lot of time, day and night, texting and commiserating lately. They are such good friends.

Moving to Houston was exactly what I did not want. We spent a summer here while Glenn did an internship and, while I really tried to make the most of it, it was a very difficult experience. I did not want to move back here after that. But we did. And it wasn't all that bad. We met some wonderful people, found a home that we love, watched our sweet little Tate grow up, and had another beautiful little boy. We have truly made the most of our time here, taking advantage of every opportunity to get out and do things together. I'll miss our zoo. Getting a pass to the zoo was a GREAT decision and we absolutely got our money's worth. We spent many fun mornings and afternoons there and I only hope that Tate will have some memory of the good times we've spent there seeing all the amazing animals up close. We went to just about every museum down town, scoped out good neighborhoods for drives to see Christmas lights, went to the big rodeo, visited NASA, found fun new restaurants to try, went to parades and community festivals, ran our first half marathon together along the beach. Leaving here now, I have no regrets. Nothing else I wish I had done or seen. We've soaked up this area and had a blast doing so.

This week I've been feeling really nostalgic about Texas and my time here coming to an end. Counting down the days as they speed past. We've had so much to do in the little time since we found out we'd be moving that I feel like the time has gone even faster. And now I'm pretty sad that we're leaving and I don't know if we'll ever have occasion to come back. (It would be kinda funny if we're moved back here next year after all this!) Never in my wildest dreams when i was growing up would I have guessed I'd live in Texas. And now Texas will always hold a little special corner of my heart. It's where Glenn and I sort of got our start, away from family with only each other to rely on. It's where Glenn was diagnosed with cancer and we spent some scary times getting through it together. It's where we became a family. It's where our two little boys joined us and for that alone, Texas is a very special place to me.

There are things I will not miss, of course. I will not miss the soul-crushing summer heat, the gross bugs of every shape and size, the snakes and gators, the crime rate that I try not to think about so I don't get too freaked out, and the traffic. But overall I've been surprised how much I really like it here and I'll miss it. A lot.

4 comments:

The Hansen's said...

I Am kinda sad for you too. You have experienced so much there, you pushed yourself and grew to become even more amazing than you already were. Sad to leave dear friends and your first home. I love that you will be closer to us but understand the difficulty that changes bring. I love you dearly!!

The Silly Witch said...

We will miss you.

Meag said...

Sniff. Texas will miss you, too! It's going to be super sad when we head down the street and Noah is still saying "Tate's house! Tate's house!"
But we're so excited for all of your fun adventures ahead, it's going to be wonderful!

Janelle said...

Geez, don't make me cry! I agree about the heat and bugs, but Texas is my home. My heart breaks a little more each day, but at least I know you'll be in Denver and I'll have a friend :)