About Us

About Us
Glenn and I have been married for ten spectacular years. We recently moved to Saudi Arabia, which is obviously very far away from both of our families. We keep this blog updated so we can stay close to our friends and fam and to keep a record of our family adventures. Glenn is enjoying his new job and I am loving being a stay-at-home mom. We have two sweet little boys, Tate and Finn and two darling twin baby girls, Taryn and Kenna. We love them to pieces. We also love date nights, good movies, good food, and being with each other.
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bye bye Houston

Well, we're moving back to Austin tomorrow. I'm excited to move on to the next phase of our lives, and at the same time it's sort of sad to leave this one. It's been a rough summer in some ways but I've learned a lot. Here's a little list to help me remember the things I've learned from this Houston test run:
-It's important and absolutely always possible to find the sunshine in every situation. Some days were hard. It was often lonely. It was often overwhelming. Driving was an adventure to say the least. Radiation was difficult. It was quite hot. But there was a lot more good than bad. Some days I just have to find it.
-Here's something I'm pretty embarrassed to admit, even to myself. This summer was the longest stretch in my life when I have exercised every day. Yeah, I'm actually that bad. We have a gym in our apartment complex here and I have been able to just take Tate in the stroller and park him next to a machine while I work out every morning. It's been so convenient that I just don't have a valid excuse to not work out...so I do. I've been to the gym every weekday, sometimes twice a day. I learned that I feel so much better. I'm happier, feel better about my body, and less stressed out. Yes, I know this is not news to anyone who has no problem exercising every day and knows how it feels to be in great shape, but that's never been me. Now I know how good it feels. I still can't quite say I enjoy exercising, but I enjoy how I feel when I'm done. I've lost a little weight, but more importantly, I feel better about myself. I won't embarrass myself more by saying what I do or how long I spend, but it really doesn't take much and being consistent and trying to challenge myself has really been great. Now I just have to find ways to keep it up when I move around and don't have a gym down the hall that I can bring my baby to! Oh man, the laziness of me will be tested.
- There are always adventures to be found and places to be explored. I've really enjoyed taking the initiative to explore Houston. To get out, be active, and find things to do. I've also learned that there are always things to do that cost little or no money.
- My husband and my son are the best. All I need is a squeeze or a little smile and I feel like the most beautiful, important girl in the world. Well maybe not the most beautiful and important...but it sure brightens my day!
- Prayers are answered. I'm always watched over and taken care of. And not just by my sweetheart.
Now it's on to the next adventure. I never thought at the beginning of this summer that I'd be sad to leave at all, but I am sort of sad to leave this chapter of our lives behind. It's been fun. It's been hard. And now we're moving on. Thanks Houston, it's been a good time.

2 comments:

Amy Mak said...

Very exciting to be off to a new adventure. Good job surviving so well! As for exercise, great job getting to the gym EVERY DAY; that is really amazing. You know, I keep wondering when it will get easier but every morning that I do get up to run, it's still so hard. Every time. So don't despair. It just takes much willpower - which you obviously have. Thanks for the update.

Aunt Debi said...

You are a good sport to pack up and leave your home from such a short time. It sounds to me like you and Glenn make the most of where you land because you have had some fun adventures in Houston. I'm very proud of you both! Can't wait to see you! Love, Mom